• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers and Lafreniere Working Towards $8x8 Extension

Pete

It does seem like in both Laffy’s contract and Igor’s these should have occurred during the off season.  I get that maybe they were working on these in the summer too but it’s the season now and these two need to be focused on winning hockey games and not contract negotiations.  I’d say go ahead and get this done now and don’t let this linger over his head all season.

It’s weird to see people who are against re-signing Shesterkin use the argument that it puts too much faith in Lafreniere becoming a stud forward for the franchise, also happy with the thought of paying Lafreniere stud forward money. Pick a lane.

In my opinion, re-signing Lafreniere for as long as possible is the best move for the Rangers. I am surprised he’s even considering 8 years because it takes him to his age 31 season, which is a bit on the old side to get one more mega contract. He’ll be looking at 4-5 year deals or so at that point. Better off 4-5 years at a little less cap hit now, and an 8 year mega contract later against a higher cap.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s weird to see people who are against re-signing Shesterkin use the argument that it puts too much faith in Lafreniere becoming a stud forward for the franchise, also happy with the thought of paying Lafreniere stud forward money. Pick a lane.

You keep misunderstanding. The lane is don't overpay goalies. Pay people who can score goals, especially 5v5.

It's a pretty proven method. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

In my opinion, re-signing Lafreniere for as long as possible is the best move for the Rangers. I am surprised he’s even considering 8 years because it takes him to his age 31 season, which is a bit on the old side to get one more mega contract. He’ll be looking at 4-5 year deals or so at that point. Better off 4-5 years at a little less cap hit now, and an 8 year mega contract later against a higher cap.

I think the sentiment changes with Shesterkin if we don't learn that HE WANTS to be the highest paid Ranger and goalie of all time. He appears to be an ego maniac and that rubs people including myself the wrong way. Pete's point stands firm; paying a goalie an exhorbitant amount of $$ is not a way to build a winning franchise outside of a few outliers. Greed and the me first attitude make the Shesty deal unsavory. 

Signing Laffy, your emerging RW dynamo (in a position of weakness for the org), is great business. It sets the org up for future success. 8M is not a top tier salary with the cap rising.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

You keep misunderstanding. The lane is don't overpay goalies. Pay people who can score goals, especially 5v5.

15 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I think the sentiment changes with Shesterkin if we don't learn that HE WANTS to be the highest paid Ranger and goalie of all time. He appears to be an ego maniac and that rubs people including myself the wrong way. Pete's point stands firm; paying a goalie an exhorbitant amount of $$ is not a way to build a winning franchise outside of a few outliers. Greed and the me first attitude make the Shesty deal unsavory. 

Signing Laffy, your emerging RW dynamo (in a position of weakness for the org), is great business. It sets the org up for future success. 8M is not a top tier salary with the cap rising.

You really don't have to go much further than these 2 posts for me.....  I think both of you guys have this spot on.  I know we're gonna beat the Shesterkin thing to death this season, and rightly so, but this Laffy deal is right on the money....(Pun intended)  😃

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

It’s not about your lane. That’s fine.

It’s about the critique of keeping Shesterkin. I’ve been told multiple times it puts too much hope into Lafreniere being a stud, but the same people are going to act jolly about possibly paying him big money for 8 years.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s not about your lane. That’s fine.

It’s about the critique of keeping Shesterkin. I’ve been told multiple times it puts too much hope into Lafreniere being a stud, but the same people are going to act jolly about possibly paying him big money for 8 years.

8 million isn't big money for a top 6 forward of his age and production. It's market value. 

12 million is for a goalie is above market for a goalie, especially when it's been established there's a negligible difference between elite and the tier below. 

Edited by Pete

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

8 million isn't big money for a top 6 forward of his age and production. It's market value. 

12 million is for a goalie is above market for a goalie, especially when it's been established there's a negligible difference between elite and the tier below. 

It is not above market for a top 1-3 goalie. It’s the same cap hit percentage those have always gone for.

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It is not above market for a top 1-3 goalie. It’s the same cap hit percentage those have always gone for.

It's above market, and it's above market at a position that it's been proven—You don't need to spend that high to win. Not sure why that needs to be repeated over, and over, and over.