• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers and Lafreniere Working Towards $8x8 Extension

Pete

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's above market, and it's above market at a position that it's been proven—You don't need to spend that high to win. Not sure why that needs to be repeated over, and over, and over.

It is not above market. Ullmark is not a comparable.

I don’t know why you are repeating the other thing. It’s irrelevant to what market value is.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

It is not above market. Ullmark is not a comparable.

I don’t know why you are repeating the other thing. It’s irrelevant to what market value is.

Because they're 2 separate points.

Point 1 is the top goalies right now are getting 8ish, and Igor isn't worth 50% more.

Point 2, you don't even need to spend 8 to win a Cup.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Because they're 2 separate points.

Point 1 is the top goalies right now are getting 8ish, and Igor isn't worth 50% more.

Point 2, you don't even need to spend 8 to win a Cup.

I’m gonna listen to @LindG1000 and leave goalie talk to the other thread.

I’m hoping the Rangers can lock up Laffy for a good long while because he’s going to be a stud franchise forward for the org. What do you think??

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's above market, and it's above market at a position that it's been proven—You don't need to spend that high to win. Not sure why that needs to be repeated over, and over, and over.

This is a silly argument. There's no position it's proven that you need to spend x amount to win. It's like saying no team has ever won with a forward making 14m, therefore it was a dumb move to re-sign Draisaitl.

We know that teams have won with 11-12% of the cap spent on their starting goalie. We also know very well that having a great offensive team capable of scoring goals at will, while paying a shit goalie peanuts, isn't a strategy for success.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m gonna listen to @LindG1000 and leave goalie talk to the other thread.

I’m hoping the Rangers can lock up Laffy for a good long while because he’s going to be a stud franchise forward for the org. What do you think??

I'm hopeful he will be, but remains to be seen what he does without Panarin. I'm not saying he's going to be bad, I'm saying we just don't know what that looks like yet, and that's really my only flag at this point. I don't love the way he and Trocheck looked in preseason without Bread. It's preseason, so whatever, but they played some pretty bad rosters, so there's that.

I'd say 80/20 this works out. Probably a stud, not sure about franchise player.

Edited by Pete

I'm really happy for Laff!!  Fucking kid had me hoping he wasn't a "bust".  It sure didn't look that way under Gallant, and even I was thinking maybe this wasn't gonna pan out, I'm glad it did, and I wish this kid nothing but the best.  I hope one day he can be the captain of this team!

Edited by Ozzy