• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers and Lafreniere Working Towards $8x8 Extension

Pete

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Oh shit I didn't read page 2 before I answered.

Lafreniere looks great yes. Nice contract. Hope he stays for long. Donuts babyyy

I hope he signs it and buys every donut around the Garden before a game for all the workers, press, etc.

• ALEXIS! 2

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I'm really happy for Laff!!  Fucking kid had me hoping he wasn't a "bust".  It sure didn't look that way under Gallant, and even I was thinking maybe this wasn't gonna pan out.

I'm glad it did, and I wish this kid nothing but the best.  I hope one day he can be the captain of this team!

Just so there’s no misunderstanding, Gallant had nothing to do with Laffy’s maturity and progression as a player. We’re not talking about some 4th round pick whom Lavi helped to become a good 2-way player, we’re talking about a 1st overall pick with an unlimited ceiling. 

• Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Just so there’s no misunderstanding, Gallant had nothing to do with Laffy’s maturity and progression as a player. We’re not talking about some 4th round pick whom Lavi helped to become a good 2-way player, we’re talking about a 1st overall pick with an unlimited ceiling. 

Right. And what did Lavvy do for Kakko? And do we ignore Quinn getting Kakko and Lafreniere first?

At some point it comes down to some players have “it” and some don’t.

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm hopeful he will be, but remains to be seen what he does without Panarin. I'm not saying he's going to be bad, I'm saying we just don't know what that looks like yet, and that's really my only flag at this point. I don't love the way he and Trocheck looked in preseason without Bread. It's preseason, so whatever, but they played some pretty bad rosters, so there's that.

I'd say 80/20 this works out. Probably a stud, not sure about franchise player.

I guess the good news is that 8m is just fine for a stud and a bargain for a franchise player. Feels like a safe enough gamble.

19 minutes ago, BreakawayMachine said:

Last offseason it was reported he was just playing slow pitch softball and eating junk food instead of prepping for the season.

Now this year, and I shit you not, it's how slow pitch softball with friends keeps Lafreniere grounded:

Alexis Lafrenière’s second sport: How summer softball with friends keeps the Rangers forward grounded

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Now this year, and I shit you not, it's how slow pitch softball with friends keeps Lafreniere grounded:

Well he needed to take his mind off his performance, so it tracks.

But to be clear, the fat out of shape stuff started before last summer, because he was purple and huffing and the first on his line to change.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Exactly...Gallant certainly did nothing to help him!  😃

• LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 1

14 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Love the last comment "Drury playing chess". It's chess now to sign your best young future franchise player on the last year of his cheap as shit RFA bridge deal? Lol

It's common sense. He's a stud.

Maybe chess in that he's not stuck on one plan for taking this team forward - ie. igor.

If he sees other opportunities to build that have a good risk/reward ratio - ie. laff at 8x8 - he'll make that move and then plan around.

Edited by Jdog99

10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Obviously. And he was playing better under Gallant than Quinn. 

I personally think Laffy was given more of a chance under Lavvy, and I also see Lavvy as a real "coach" that actually gets involved in a player's developmant.

I've played for coaches like Gallant, who are more "hands off", and as a young guy I had no fucking clue what they wanted because the communication wasn't there, and I had no idea what if any progress I was making.  Now I'm not Laffy and I have no idea what he went through, but I would MUCH rather play for a guy like Lavvy than Gallant.

Give me feedback

Give me a chance to be who I am

Give me the freedom to make a mistake and not be in the doghouse every fucking 10 minutes

Fucking "COACH ME!"  I can totally relate to maybe how Laff felt during those years.

Edited by Ozzy