• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers and Lafreniere Working Towards $8x8 Extension

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Laviolette put him with the best player on the team with a commitment to keep that duo together, which is more than Laf ever got from anyone else. 

That's not nothing. 

Gallant gave him a decent amount of rope in the top 6. Lafreniere produced immediately out of the gate last year and looked good doing it. He didn’t have a prolonged slump that tested Lavvy’s resolve to stick with him.

• Bullseye 1

45 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Gallant gave him a decent amount of rope in the top 6. Lafreniere produced immediately out of the gate last year and looked good doing it. He didn’t have a prolonged slump that tested Lavvy’s resolve to stick with him.

I'm not so sure about never slumping, they did hit a little bit of a wall at one point early, but they just played through it. 

He also kept that duo together exclusively even at times where he swapped centers with Mika. 

As far as the rope with GG I will agree that he got slotted in there plenty of times but I think we might just have different definitions for "rope" because he seemed quick to pull the plug on it and I don't remember them ever really together for more than a game at a time, if they even made it through a game. 

Edited by Pete

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I think the sentiment changes with Shesterkin if we don't learn that HE WANTS to be the highest paid Ranger and goalie of all time. He appears to be an ego maniac and that rubs people including myself the wrong way. Pete's point stands firm; paying a goalie an exhorbitant amount of $$ is not a way to build a winning franchise outside of a few outliers. Greed and the me first attitude make the Shesty deal unsavory. 

Signing Laffy, your emerging RW dynamo (in a position of weakness for the org), is great business. It sets the org up for future success. 8M is not a top tier salary with the cap rising.

Laffy is a LW.

Watch the tape from the first game and you see him in dominant positions on the left side of the ice, including the toe-drag, again.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laffy is a LW.

Watch the tape from the first game and you see him in dominant positions on the left side of the ice, including the toe-drag, again.

It’s understated how much better he is attacking from the left. Think about that sick goal in game 3 I think it was against Florida…attacking from the left and with that toe drag to the backhand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I personally think Laffy was given more of a chance under Lavvy, and I also see Lavvy as a real "coach" that actually gets involved in a player's developmant.

I've played for coaches like Gallant, who are more "hands off", and as a young guy I had no fucking clue what they wanted because the communication wasn't there, and I had no idea what if any progress I was making.  Now I'm not Laffy and I have no idea what he went through, but I would MUCH rather play for a guy like Lavvy than Gallant.

Give me feedback

Give me a chance to be who I am

Give me the freedom to make a mistake and not be in the doghouse every fucking 10 minutes

Fucking "COACH ME!"  I can totally relate to maybe how Laff felt during those years.

Yeah, you just parroting what Pete has been saying. 

• LMFAO 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Laviolette put him with the best player on the team with a commitment to keep that duo together, which is more than Laf ever got from anyone else. 

That's not nothing. 

Maybe he just wasn't ready for that role ,I am glad he's coming along and looking like a top draft pick

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Laffy is a LW.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s understated how much better he is attacking from the left. Think about that sick goal in game 3 I think it was against Florida…attacking from the left and with that toe drag to the backhand.

I think it's just because of his comfort level on the left. The more time he spends on the right there's a strong chance IMO that he will become equally dynamic there. 

• Believe 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Laffy is a LW.

I feel you and tbh, that was my initial thought on that goal last game....rushing left side playing RW. Regardless, he might be natural LW but he is playing RW for this team and is filling the void quite nicely.

• Bullseye 1

It's too early to make a major push to sign him.  He's not going to take 8x8.  Not if there's a real chance he's a superstar.

We don't want to give him 12.5x8 for obvious reasons.

If he keeps pushing hard the way he has been since the playoffs last season he's going to be a PPG w/o much power play time.  Unfortunately that's a $100M player.

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's too early to make a major push to sign him.  He's not going to take 8x8.  Not if there's a real chance he's a superstar.

We don't want to give him 12.5x8 for obvious reasons.

If he keeps pushing hard the way he has been since the playoffs last season he's going to be a PPG w/o much power play time.  Unfortunately that's a $100M player.

The fact that the report is indicating an 8x8 framework, it's pretty likely that's where he comes in and what they are working on now is how much of that is bonus versus salary. 

Three games into the season doesn't change any of this. It doesn't change anything for Shesterkin either. 

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

The fact that the report is indicating an 8x8 framework, it's pretty likely that's where he comes in and what they are working on now is how much of that is bonus versus salary. 

Three games into the season doesn't change any of this. It doesn't change anything for Shesterkin either. 

To be fair I don't think 8x8 was actually said. In the tweet in the OP it says they are working on an 8 year deal worth more than 8  mill, so that's at least 8.25m or 8.5m. If they decide to hold out for a little longer and Lafreniere continues on his great start I won't be surprised if the number is closer to 10m when signed.

9 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

To be fair I don't think 8x8 was actually said. In the tweet in the OP it says they are working on an 8 year deal worth more than 8  mill, so that's at least 8.25m or 8.5m. If they decide to hold out for a little longer and Lafreniere continues on his great start I won't be surprised if the number is closer to 10m when signed.

You don't go from 8 million to 10 million because of three games. 

You certainly don't go to 12.5 million.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

You don't go from 8 million to 10 million because of three games. 

You certainly don't go to 12.5 million.

No obviously not. But "more than 8" could be close to 9. And I said if they decide to hold out and Lafreniere continues his progression I don't see why they wont ask for 10m.

What I'm trying to say is - Get this shit done asap.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No obviously not. But "more than 8" could be close to 9. And I said if they decide to hold out and Lafreniere continues his progression I don't see why they wont ask for 10m.

What I'm trying to say is - Get this shit done asap.

My point is he's not getting 12.5, I'm not going to quibble over whether "over 8" means "slightly less than 9".

Let's not act like Lafreniere has no risk here, he has yet to produce without Panarin. It behooves him to get a deal done quickly. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

And little PP time.

And done little with his little PP time. That doesn't concern you? That even a man up, he has yet to assert himself even with increased PP splits this season?

Is that a peek of what life without Panarin will look like?

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

And done little with his little PP time. That doesn't concern you? That even a man up, he has yet to assert himself even with increased PP splits this season?

Is that a peek of what life without Panarin will look like?

No I’m not concerned at all about what has been done with scrap PP time with bad PP players.

He will need reps to get comfortable though. Zero concern about his ability to perform.

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No I’m not concerned at all about what has been done with scrap PP time with bad PP players.

So far this season it hasn't been scrap time (at least compared to other seasons) and they have all played on power plays before, I don't know what you mean by a bad power play player... But regardless he should be distinguishing himself amidst that group of players and he's not. 

He will need reps to get comfortable though. Zero concern about his ability to perform.

Maybe. 

I still think they owe it to themselves to see what he looks like on his own before you hand him eight years where seven of them will likely be without number 10 on the other side. 

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

So far this season it hasn't been scrap time (at least compared to other seasons) and they have all played on power plays before, I don't know what you mean by a bad power play player... But regardless he should be distinguishing himself amidst that group of players and he's not. 

Jacob Trouba, K’Andre Miller, Kaapo Kakko, old man Wheeler. Panarin would have a tough time elevating those guys with 30-40 seconds after a line change and the puck starting behind his own net.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Maybe. 

I still think they owe it to themselves to see what he looks like on his own before you hand him eight years where seven of them will likely be without number 10 on the other side. 

I get why you feel that way. I just don’t. Lafreniere had a part in enabling Panarin to have a career year, too.