• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stars Re-Sign Jake Oettinger to 8-Year/$66m Extension; $8.25m AAV

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

is Shesty $4M a year better than Oettinger?

I guess one could argue that Igor is more seasoned. But I’d take Swayman or Oettinger at 8.25 over Igor at 12 cause I don’t think Igor is worth 4m more than either of them. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

I guess one could argue that Igor is more seasoned. But I’d take Swayman or Oettinger at 8.25 over Igor at 12 cause I don’t think Igor is worth 4m more than either of them. 

Is Shesty worth $2M per year more than those two? probably

• Keeps it 100 1

36 minutes ago, Scott said:

I thought it was interesting to see the comp number breakdown, after tax etc.

So theoretically if the Rangers had the ability to sign Oettinger, they would have had to offer $8.7 a year to be equal. Igor at $11.5 would be $2.8 more than that. Relatively small difference, less than $3 million, and Oettinger is not in Igor’s class.

People need to just adjust to 11 being the new 8 with the cap going up.

Edited by BrooksBurner

• Phil changed the title to Stars Re-Sign Jake Oettinger to 8-Year/$66m Extension; $8.25m AAV
8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

So theoretically if the Rangers had the ability to sign Oettinger, they would have had to offer $8.7 a year to be equal. Igor at $11.5 would be $2.8 more than that. Relatively small difference, less than $3 million, and Oettinger is not in Igor’s class.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

why would the rangers have to offer $8.7?

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think the question to ask is, is Ottenger good enough to win a cup?

That answer I feel is YES

He is yes, but to be fair, anyone in Dallas top-9 could play on most other team's top line so Oettinger has a ridiculous amount of offensive depth to play behind. A luxury which Shesterkin unfortunately doesn't have. So to a degree, the Rangers are somewhat handcuffed having to pay a premium for top end goaltending. 

Edited by Karan

58 minutes ago, Scott said:

I thought it was interesting to see the comp number breakdown, after tax etc.

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

3rd straight starting goalie to sign for an $8.25M AAV. You'd almost think there was a fair market value for #1 goalies...

You're spot on, the goalie market was reset with these deals. Price, Vasi, Bob are just outliers now, not comparables.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Karan said:

He is yes, but to be fair, anyone in Dallas top-9 could play on most other team's top line so Oettinger has a ridiculous amount of offensive depth to play behind. A luxury which Shesterkin unfortunately doesn't have. So to a degree, the Rangers are somewhat handcuffed having to pay a premium for top end goaltending. 

Offensive support is not the problem. Dallas scored 3.59 G/GP to 3.29 for NYR.

The question may be, do the Rangers take more chances with Igor because it's Igor? How would they play in front of a "lesser" (lol) $8M goalie? I'm starting to feel like the whole "Well they need the 12M goalie" is bullshit. A lot of underlying metrics are the same for Shesterkin and Quick last regular season...Suggests you don't need superman back there.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Offensive support is not the problem. Dallas scored 3.59 G/GP to 3.29 for NYR.

The question may be, do the Rangers take more chances with Igor because it's Igor? How would they play in front of a "lesser" (lol) $8M goalie? I'm starting to feel like the whole "Well they need the 12M goalie" is bullshit. A lot of underlying metrics are the same for Shesterkin and Quick last regular season...Suggests you don't need superman back there.

They've had success each season when another goaltender played 25-30 games; Igor is not a necessity but instead a luxury. Winning 3-0, is the same as 3-1 and 3-2. Paying this guy that much of our cap is bad management, period.

Drury should offer nothing. They already made a ridiculous offer that was rejected. Ride the year out. If you win, great. Let him walk. If you don't, there's no justifiable reason to invest this much into a starting goalie. Negotiate one more time and try to get him back to earth. If he refuses, let someone else rat-fuck their cap to sign a $12 or $13 million dollar goalie.

If that means a regression in goals against, so be it. Use the new cap savings to buttress against that where you can. Sign a UFA defender who helps. Maybe keep Quick another year if he's still good, and just platoon with a lesser goalie tandem until you find your next long-term starter. At the end of the day, this is a better solution than financially crippling the team. That's the way I see it.

• Keeps it 100 2