• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stars Re-Sign Jake Oettinger to 8-Year/$66m Extension; $8.25m AAV

29 minutes ago, Karan said:

He is yes, but to be fair, anyone in Dallas top-9 could play on most other team's top line so Oettinger has a ridiculous amount of offensive depth to play behind. A luxury which Shesterkin unfortunately doesn't have. So to a degree, the Rangers are somewhat handcuffed having to pay a premium for top end goaltending. 

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Offensive support is not the problem. Dallas scored 3.59 G/GP to 3.29 for NYR.

The question may be, do the Rangers take more chances with Igor because it's Igor? How would they play in front of a "lesser" (lol) $8M goalie? I'm starting to feel like the whole "Well they need the 12M goalie" is bullshit. A lot of underlying metrics are the same for Shesterkin and Quick last regular season...Suggests you don't need superman back there.

I also look at this as, "if we pay $12 million, how do we build a solid supporting top 9?

Edited by Ozzy
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Karan said:

He is yes, but to be fair, anyone in Dallas top-9 could play on most other team's top line so Oettinger has a ridiculous amount of offensive depth to play behind. A luxury which Shesterkin unfortunately doesn't have. So to a degree, the Rangers are somewhat handcuffed having to pay a premium for top end goaltending. 

And they're likely to be able to keep that depth because they didn't spend double digits on their goalie. $4 million goes a long fucking way when you're talking about the ability to keep star players.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I also look at this as, "if we pay $12 million, how do we build a solid supporting top 9?

The answer from the "Pay Shesty" camp will be "Just play 3 rookies or ELCs there, that makes the team better!"

• Keeps it 100 1

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

The answer from the "Pay Shesty" camp will be "Just play 3 rookies or ELCs there, that makes the team better!"

I don't know how that's gonna work...but yeah, I hear ya.  😉

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

We won't need no stinkin' supporting top 9, we'll have Shestwerkin the super goalie.

They’ll just have to settle for a top 8 and use an ELC for the 9th spot instead of buying and overpaying for an extra $3-4 million player ala Goodrow, because we know that’s exactly how the savings would get used. The absolute horrors of keeping a top 2-3 goalie in the game. Oh the humanity!

Edited by BrooksBurner

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They’ll just have to settle for a top 8 and use an ELC for the 9th spot instead of buying and overpaying for an extra $3-4 million player ala Goodrow, because we know that’s exactly how the savings would get used. The absolute horrors of keeping a top 2-3 goalie in the game. Oh the humanity!

Bookmarking for when they sign him to this deal and he becomes an .895 goalie at age 34.

They win a Cup, they can be shitty doo doo from a butt for three years after. I won't care. I won't complain. I'll cry about every loss into my championship gear. You have my word on that.

• Like 1
  • CK20! 1
  • Believe 1