• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Won't Let Tom Wilson Revenge ‘overtake’ them: Gerard Gallant

Phil

“It’s not going to overtake the team,” Gallant told The Post on Friday during a one-on-one conversation. “We’ll address that before the first game of the year, I’m sure, but the bottom line is that when we brought these players in over the summer we wanted to make our team tougher to play against. “You knew whoever was going to be with the Rangers this year was going to change the complexion of the team a little bit, there was no doubt. Fortunately for me, I got the opportunity to be the coach and we’re going to change it a little bit, the way the team is going to play and respond to issues like that. I don’t think they’re going to happen anymore.”

“I was watching the game on TV, I wasn’t a Ranger, and I didn’t like what happened that night, just as a fan,” Gallant said. “But that incident won’t be talked about until right before the season. “I think our team is going to play a good, solid game and we’ve got the guys who are going to play a physical game and a good brand of hockey. That’s the brand that wins hockey games when you can get your top players playing the way they want to play and don’t have to worry about stuff,” the coach said. “That’s going to go a long way with the New York Rangers hockey team this year.”

“We’re going to play as a team this year, it’s all going to be about this team, it’s not going to be about what happened last year. Tom Wilson is a hell of a hockey player, he’s a great all-around hockey player, he’s tough and he’s hard-nosed, but we’re not going to focus on that.”

https://nypost.com/2021/08/28/rangers-plotting-no-vengeance-toward-washington-capitals-tom-wilson/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this amounts to Reaves vs Wilson, Wilson being too stupid to walk away, and it ends after one tilt.

Agree but that ends too quickly IMO. The refs break it up and nobody gets very hurt. Wilson deserves more than that. I'd like to see Reaves, Tinordi, etc check Wilson really hard into the boards all game long. The refs haven't been calling boarding very much and it is about time for the Caps to receive some payback for their dirty play.

After that, I'd like to see no fights and just good hockey....fast skating; great passing; shooting; teamwork and winnning.

Artemi Panarin voted as NY Rangers' MVP for the 2019-20 season

The two must win Islander games were as severe a wake up call as Wilson. The skill guys need to feel comfortable out there instead of looking over their shoulders and feeling intimidated. The playoffs were a real eye opener as well. The Rangers of last season, had they gotten in would have had the same result as the bubble. With the few changes made, they should be better eqipped for a potential playoff series. 

Rangers should let the Wilson thing play out a little bit during Game 1....Don't go out on the first shift and drop the gloves, line up Reaves at the same time as Wilson, but just go play hockey, make Wilson think that Reavo will be after him on the first few shifts, get into Wilson's head.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shane Falco said:

The league will probably warn both teams before the game. Hope the Rangers don't give a fuck.

This is why you sign Reeves. He can get suspended and it doesn't matter. But with that said, the league didn't do shit last year. I don't imagine they will this year either.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

I want to see blood, but Reaves isn't getting any from Wilson. I wouldn't mind seeing Kuznetzov snorting blow off the floor of the 3rd row.

Im not a fan of sinking to the same level as Wilson, pounding on a guy half your size. But i would love to see these new tough guys just keep pounding on Wilson non-stop until he starts crying and asks Gallant to please stop. 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I want to see blood, but Reaves isn't getting any from Wilson. I wouldn't mind seeing Kuznetzov snorting blow off the floor of the 3rd row.

Part of me actually hopes Wilson refuses to fight and Reaves takes a pound of flesh out of one of his team mates as a result.

"Take your beating, or one of your boys will."

The tricky bit is Reaves wasn't a part of the team last year. He has no history, other than his own with Wilson. He's on the record as saying most of his fights come about naturally and when he knows he "has to fight" someone he plays like shit and fights like shit. Hopefully Gallant allows him the space to just play his game - knowing full well that those guys would probably fight no matter what happened last year. Personally, I'd like to see Reaves kill someone else more than I'd like to see Wilson take a beating. Eye for an eye kind of thing.