• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Won't Let Tom Wilson Revenge ‘overtake’ them: Gerard Gallant

Phil

Yeah, those types of guys tend to endear themselves to their teammates really quickly. Two weeks in camp and everyone will adore him. To us, watching, he'll feel a bit like a hired gun, but by the time the puck drops on opening night, he'll have ingratiated himself to his team just fine IMO.

I'm a huge Reaves fan but for the self proclaimed solution to your Tom Wilson problem and all the talking about the beating(s) he's going to put on Wilson they've fought each other a total of twice. There's a history of big hits, some late some clean and a shit ton of trash talking but there's no long list of brawls and certainly no history of beat downs. In one of the fights Wilson certainly didn't get beat up, in neither did he get an ass whipping.  IF and when WIlson fights him he will or should lose but I don't think Reaves will ragdoll him as much as I would like to see it.  I think as a couple of others have mentioned I think there's equal if not more value in Reaves driving everyone in sight through the boards every chance he gets every time he's on the ice. 

I do think the superman act from Wilson is in the past as long as Reaves is around which is a good thing, I think Reaves will be very well liked in the room and adored by many in the seats. He does bring something we haven't had in years and his personality is made for this size stage. But Wilson is a superior player who probably will not engage for more than a round. He could also turtle if Reaves jumps him and laugh as Reaves is shown the shower. What good is that going to do us?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And he was a good player. 3 years ago.

Yes, but if you look at the underlying metrics, he also played his best hockey for Gallant, so it's certainly possible/plausible he could rebound to not be such a detriment on the ice.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes, but if you look at the underlying metrics, he also played his best hockey for Gallant, so it's certainly possible/plausible he could rebound to not be such a detriment on the ice.

Playing well for a coach doesn't put 3 years back onto your career. 

Watch him score the first goal of the season!!  I'll die laughing!

...but seriously, I think he'll be pretty good for the locker room.  We can use a little "Big Daddy" in there.  I also think Goodrow will add a ton behind the scenes.  I'm really looking forward to this year's team. 

The exhibition games can't get here soon enough for me!!!